National 4/5 Art
Art and Design is the study of the various forms of visual communication. It covers the expressive arts, design, and the ability to understand the work of others. It will give pupils an insight into how art and design influence our lives and it will teach the skills to develop creativity and understanding in these areas. Underpinning art and design courses in Hamilton College is the belief that the purpose and wonder of creation gives a language of order, beauty and expression – a language that can be explored with hand, eye and feeling.
Skills and Knowledge
A broad overview of the subject skills, knowledge and understanding that will be covered in the course includes:
- responding to a range of visual stimuli and developing visual understanding of the subject matter
- producing investigative visual research for expressive and design challenges
- creatively using a range of art and design media, materials and techniques for expression
- developing and refining a range of original ideas for art and design solutions
- understanding the influence of social and cultural factors on art and design practice
- analysing how a range of media, materials and techniques are used by artists and designers for visual impact, creative effect and working out ideas
- using a range of problem solving, planning and evaluation skills within the creative process.
Learning and Teaching Methods
The course involves the study of art and design in three areas: expressive, design and critical activity. The expressive activity involves you communicating ideas and feelings in a range of media; the design activity gives the opportunity to devise a solution to a set design problem; critical activity develops an appreciation and understanding of artists and designers and is related to the two practical activities. Skills and techniques will be taught by example via the teacher and by using a range of visual resources. Teaching directly to the whole class and on a one-to-one basis will be used as appropriate to the activity and balanced within the projects.
A qualification in art and design can lead to careers in product design, graphic design, textile, fashion, costume set design, ceramic design, jewellery making and silversmithing, photography, film print making, art teaching, architecture and fine art among others.