National 4/5 Engineering Science
Computing and Information Science offers knowledge and experience of the technology that lies at the heart of modern society. It covers information technology concepts, the practical operation of hardware and software, and the awareness of how computers affect our work, home and leisure activities.
Skills and Knowledge
A broad overview of the subject skills, knowledge and understanding that will be covered in the course includes:
- analysing problems within computing and information science across a range of contemporary contexts
- designing, implementing, testing and evaluating digital solutions (including computer programs) to problems across a range of contemporary contexts
- investigating and evaluating emerging and innovative technologies
- communicating key facts and ideas clearly and concisely using appropriate terminology
- applying aspects of computational thinking across a range of contexts
- knowledge and understanding of key facts and ideas related to software design and development and information system design and development
- understanding of the role and impact of computing and information technologies on the environment and society
- applying computing and information science knowledge and skills to create solutions.
Learning and Teaching Methods
The course will be taught using various methods including whole class lessons, group work and individual investigations. A wide range of digital resources will be used. Moodle, our VLE, delivers some of the course and pupils will be expected to use this to submit work and download notes and tasks. Practical tasks are pupil driven, encouraging independent learning.
While the most obvious career would be in the computer industry, because computers are such a big part of everyday life in the modern world, knowledge of computing and information technology is becoming essential. This course will better equip pupils to cope with the computer based environment, no matter which field of study or which career they go on to follow.