National 4/5 Modern Studies
Modern Studies develops our knowledge and understanding of contemporary political and social issues in local, Scottish, United Kingdom and international contexts. In these contexts, you will develop an awareness of the social and political issues you will meet in your life. Through the course, you will undertake a study of contemporary society which will develop the skills to help you interpret and participate in the social and political processes you will encounter now and in the future.
Skills and Knowledge
A broad overview of the subject skills, knowledge and understanding that will be covered in the course includes:
- developing and applying knowledge and understanding and skills across political, social and international contexts
- researching and using information collected from a range of sources about contemporary issues
- using a range of sources of evidence in order to detect and explain bias, exaggeration and selectivity in the use of facts in political contexts
- making and justifying decisions using a range of evidence
- drawing and justifying conclusions from a range of sources of evidence about international issues
- demonstrating a basic knowledge and understanding of the main democratic processes, institutions and organisations which make up political life in Scotland and the UK
- demonstrating a basic knowledge and understanding of a major social issue in Scotland and the UK focusing on either social inequality or crime and the law
- demonstrating a basic knowledge and understanding of an international issue relating to a society other than the UK
- explaining the causes and consequences of a major international issue and the attempts at its resolution.
- Parliament (Scottish and Westminster)
- The Family
Learning and Teaching Methods
Throughout this course you will be developing your enquiry skills and your knowledge and understanding of issues which have shaped our modern world. Your work will involve using textbooks, worksheets, video and audio resources, role playing, artwork and displays, as well as visits to relevant sites of interest such as the Scottish Parliament.
As well as furthering your knowledge and understanding of society today, Modern Studies aims to develop your ability to investigate and evaluate – useful skills when you undertake studies in further or higher education and particularly relevant to a wide range of careers such as law, management, media, the church, the police, social services, health services, government, teaching and the armed services.