National 4/5 German
The ability to communicate in a foreign language has never been as important as it is today. Our closer links with Europe have provided increased opportunities to work and study abroad. There is, therefore, the expectation that you will study at least one modern foreign language throughout S3 and S4. You may study French, or German, or both if you choose. Both languages may subsequently be studied at Higher level.
Skills and Knowledge
A broad overview of the subject skills, knowledge and understanding that will be covered in the course includes:
- listening and talking, reading and writing skills as appropriate to purpose and audience in familiar contexts
- knowledge and understanding required to understand written and spoken German, as appropriate to purpose and audience in familiar contexts
- knowledge and understanding required to use written and spoken German, as appropriate to purpose and audience in familiar contexts
- understanding a range of grammatical knowledge of the German language
- understanding and using the German language in the familiar contexts of citizenship, society, learning, employability and culture.
Learning and Teaching Methods
The course adopts a balanced, topic-based approach. In talking, a range of activities is tackled including monologue, dialogue and role play. Frequent use of authentic German audio material is used to encourage your listening skills. Reading comprehension tasks are based on a selection of passages of relevant topics. You will also have experience of a variety of writing activities. For all of these, you will be expected to learn and revise grammar and vocabulary on a regular basis. A text book is central to the course but other resources will be made available.
German is one of the most widely-used languages in the world in the fields of science and technology and it is common to find it studied at a higher level with these other subjects. There are significant career opportunities for those who can combine marketing, secretarial, journalistic, political, engineering and science qualifications with German.