National 4/5 PE
This course is suitable if you have an interest in, and enthusiasm for, developing your physical and performance skills, either to pursue study and career options related to physical education or to broaden your learning experience. In this course, you will engage in activities which will enhance performance and develop the skills needed to analyse your performance and the performance of others. It is anticipated that, for some pupils, this course will serve as a stepping-stone towards the Higher course in S5.
Skills and Knowledge
A broad overview of the subject skills, knowledge and understanding that will be covered in the course includes:
- investigating and applying approaches for improving or refining your skills, fitness, performance and tactics.
- understanding and applying the principles that underpin performance.
- planning and implementing solutions in a range of performance situations through effective decision-making and problem-solving.
- examining and analysing factors impacting on performance
- examining and analysing performance in a familiar context.
Learning and Teaching Methods
Time is allocated to each of the practical activities of the course. Theory is developed in tandem with the practical work and also in a classroom situation.
Physical education has many benefits for your health and wellbeing, offers many possibilities for future leisure and recreation and has currency for entry to further and higher education. If you intend to pursue the study of PE beyond school, you are strongly advised to take this course.